The Foreign Languages Department is a part of the Bulgarian National Military University and was set up in 2007 in Shumen as the direct outcome of a joint project of the governments of the USA and Bulgaria. Ever since the start of its operation up to today, the Department has trained in General and Specialized English more than 1300 representatives of the Bulgarian military and civilian personnel and approximately 40 foreign students from the countries of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Macedonia (FYRМ) and Croatia. The English language training at the Department is of great interest to member countries of Clearing House International Initiation – for South Kavkaz and Moldova.
In 2010, the Foreign Languages Department was officially recognized
as a NATO PfP Training and Education Centre working in the field of
English language training.